Friday, September 12, 2014

Purity of mind

If you have read any of my blogs before this you can see there is a trend with singleness. Not only is it a trend within my blogs, it seems to be a trend with blogs all over the internet. They range from all different kinds:

"10 things 20 something singles should know"
"purposeful singleness"
"25 things that happen when you're single"

I really could go on but you get my point.

I'm not hating on these articles (I mean I really can't considering i'm sitting here writing one about the same topic) But if you are about to quit reading because you are tired of the same old singleness post I urge you, KEEP READING.

Yes, this is about singleness but this article is also going to be about so much more, so please take the time and let's look into what it means to be pure in your singleness

Now, some of you might want to stop reading because you read the word "pure" and you think i'm going to go through a blog on why you shouldn't have sex or go too far with a guy (while I do agree in not doing that I'm not going to bore you with that right now)

I think there are aspects of purity that we are missing.
Why is it that when you hear "purity in singleness" you automatically assume it's going to be about sex? Our brains are wired to connect purity with our bodies, and while that is so very true, it's not where purity stops.

Personally, my downfall in my singleness has not been sexually. My downfall with staying pure while single has been purity in mind.

**DISCLAIMER
I don't struggle with thinking impure or sexual things, what I mean when I say I struggle with purity of mind I mean that I have let boys control my thoughts.

Some examples would be ---->

"I wonder why he isn't texting me back..."
"wait should I have said that"
"Do you think he's flirting with me or no..."

(i'm sure there is some laughter going on right now because while you are sitting here reading those examples you can put a time, place and boy with all of them)

What I want to address is why these situations are toxic

Purity:
the condition or quality of being pure; freedom from anything that debases, contaminates, pollutes, etc.:

When we let those thoughts run wild we are letting a chain reaction occur in our head. Before you know it we have left no room for the thoughts that bring us joy

How could we even think about joy when we are too busy being unhappy because we saw a boy read our text and didn't text us back.

Our minds are being contaminated and before we know it we will look back and realize we have pushed ourselves away from God.

Why are these thoughts toxic?
Not only do they steal our joy and push us further from the truth of God, they leave room for bad decisions.
When we don't have purity of mind, we let satan take hold of our thoughts, we let him lie to us, we let him make us feel empty and broken.
Those feelings will only lead us further down the path of destruction.

So how do we fight it?
Well first is realizing that there is no form of purity that can happen if you are separated from the Lord because he is the only one that makes us pure.
We have to come to him and pray that he transforms our thoughts, but the only way that he can do that is if we GIVE them to Him.

What I want you to see is that these thoughts are normal, but that isn't an excuse.
It's too easy to play them off as "just things girls think about" or "just being a girl"

I beg you to see that thinking these things is damaging to your heart.

Jesus wants to speak TRUTH into you, His unfailing love, mercy and grace are far better things to meditate on than if a boy is going to text you.

Get into His word, pray to Him, surround yourself with a community that is going to speak life into you and affirm that you are a child of the one true KING, who loves and pursues you daily. Who has turned your heart of stone into a heart of flesh and He doesn't want that heart hurting.

Don't be your own cause of heartache because you are letting your own mind tell you lies.

I hope this blog was helpful, and I pray that if you are single right now or even if you are in a relationship you see that there is so much more to staying pure than just by your body. I pray you see that it starts with your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment