Sunday, October 27, 2013

If this waiting last forever, I'm afraid I might let go



How much do you truly trust God?

We have seen the sayings, “Let go and Let God.”
We can recite Jeremiah 29:11
We’ve been told all our lives that God has a plan

But do we really trust Him?

What if I was to tell you that God’s plan for your life didn’t involve marriage by the age of 23?
What if I was to tell you, it might not involve marriage at all.
Would you still trust Him? Would you still say He was good?

Now, please don’t get me wrong, I am saying this to myself just as much as I’m saying it to you.

But, I feel we, as Christians, are missing it.
We have single classes at church.
Older people, and married friends jump at the opportunity to fix you up with the new guy that is visiting.
I’m not saying this is wrong  
On the contrary, I think meeting people at church is a great place to do it.
But sometimes it is like they are trying to F I X it. Like singleness means you’re broken.

I was told recently that God would provide the right guy in my life; I just needed to learn to “Truly be satisfied in Him first.”

I’m sorry…what? I really couldn’t believe my ears.
..So what you’re telling me is I’m single because I’m not satisfied in the Lord?
THAT IS NOT TRUE. But more importantly it’s not biblical.  

What scares me the most is that girls really are believing this lie. They believe that they have to “fix” their relationship with God SO that the right guy can be provided. When in reality, that could not be more wrong. When we allow that idea to come into our head we will run into a serious problem. We no longer seek the Lord for the pureness of knowing Him; we will be seeking Him for His gifts.

So I’m going to ask a question that even makes me uncomfortable to think about,

Would you still love and seek The Lord, even if His plan for you didn’t involve a guy?

I think an even more important question to ask is; why is this question so scary? Our purpose on this earth isn’t to get married. Your life won’t begin when you meet “the one” and your life won’t stop if you don’t.

Now I’m not saying that I think just because you're 20 and single means you’re going to be single forever
        
         What I am saying is, don’t let your desire for an earthly relationship take the place of your eternal one.

We are not promised a husband, 2 kids, and a white picket fence. BUT WHAT WE ARE PROMISED IS SO MUCH GREATER.

Instead of worrying or fearing that we aren’t going to get those things, turn your eyes to what we have.  DON’T MISS IT.

You have a savior that LOVES you. Right now, he is reaching out for you. He promises to never leave or forsake you. His love never ends and at His right hand our pleasures forevermore. Trust in that promise.

The earthly desires of our heart are fading.

But our savior is pursing us right now. Go outside at sunset and look at the sky. Go out to the country in the pure darkness and get swept away by the beauty of the stars. Everything like that is Gods way of showing His love for us,
Don’t miss out on a relationship with the creator, while you are too consumed in a fleeting relationship with creation.

So was my purpose in writing this?

To hopefully make you see that without realizing it, we have made marriage an idol in our lives. Especially in the Christian bubble. We talk about being pursued, and how we can’t wait until we can have a Godly guy come into our lives. We daydream at church about the cute boy in front of us taking notes, or maybe we go to certain events because “good Christian boys will be there”

(don’t act like you aren’t guilty of this)

Like I said earlier, I am afraid we are missing it.

My fear is that the most of us will graduate college, guyless and Godless.

We will be tired of chasing after this idea that we are promised a guy. We will begin to harden our hearts to The Lord because we aren’t getting what we thing we deserve. We will let doubt sink into us and ultimately we will give up on The Lord because what’s the point.

So my prayer for every girl facing this road right now is that we will stop putting a guy at the end of our goals. That we will see that we CAN trust in His plan, no matter what that means. Don’t let todays view of singleness ruin your trust in The Lord.

“Let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith.” Hebrews 12:1

Please Remember that:
Singleness isn’t a disease
Nothing is wrong with you
You are worthy of Love

I promise you God is good no matter if you’re 20 and single or 40 and single.

You are the crown of creation. You are His bride. That will always be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment