Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Putting The Lord on the back burner

One of the craziest things to me is that we think we can handle this life on our own.
I am a victim of this and recently The Lord has shown me how much I need him. Not just that, but how much I need to spend time alone with Him.

Growing up in the church I have always been told "have your quiet time" but I never really understood what it meant. I wouldn't know how to just sit with The Lord. Now that I am older I understand what it means, but that doesn't stop the excuses. Instead of not understanding, I say I am too busy. So many things I have to "check off my list", so many things that have deadlines, that can't wait. 

"The Lord can wait right?"
"He's always here so what does it really matter if I spend time with Him right now?"
"I can do it later"
"He understands I have to get this stuff done."

Sound familiar?

Like everything I write, please know I am saying this to myself just as much, if not more. 

But we have GOT to stop putting things in front of the Lord. Even the good things. 
Even the things that we think can't wait.

I promise you that nothing is more important than spending time with God. 

Do you want to know how I know this?

Lets look at the life of Jesus:
Jesus was the most important person to ever walk this earth. He was Gods son, He was sent to save YOU, He came to earth to bring the message that He is the way, the truth and the light and the only way to get to God the Father, is through Him, the son. He who knew NO sin, became sin, FOR YOU. His purpose in this world was to save the world. 

Talk about important. 
Don't you think He was just a little busy too? 
Just saving the world and stuff. 

Guess what....

EVEN JESUS had to spend time alone with His Father. 


And early in the morning, while it was still dark, He arose and went out and departed to a lonely place, and was praying there. ( Mark 1:35

And immediately He made His disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side to Bethsaida, while He Himself was sending the multitude away. And after bidding them farewell, he departed to the mountain to pray. ( Mark 6:45-46


But He Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray. ( Luke 5:16)
And it was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God. ( Luke 6:12)


And you think you don't have to?


Going to worship services, bible studies, having accountability partners
All of these things are so important, but they aren't where it stops.


To put it in perspective think of it like this-
If you are in a relationship with someone, it's great to spend time in a big group, all hanging out. You go to the movies with friends, out to dinner in a big group. It's all so fun. But there is still a part of you that needs alone time with them. To talk to them and get to know them even more. If you claimed to be in a relationship with them, but never wanted to be alone with them, what would they think?

Do you not think God wants the same thing? 
HE WANTS TO SPEND TIME WITH YOU.

Spending time alone with the Lord is important not only because He desires us to but because we NEED to....
It's how we find rest.
 "Come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest"
Matthew 11:28

 Most importantly it's how we stay connected to the holy spirit, and through that, is how we stay on guard to fight the good fight. 

"For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of our Father speaking through you." Matthew 10:20 

This is why it is crucial that we understand, alone time with The Lord is only going to bring us good. You will see that those deadlines can still be met, the homework can still be done and the meetings can still be made. 

We can't let the everyday tasks of this world keep us from drawing closer to our savior

There is a battle at hand that we must be ready for. A battle that can only be fought by the Holy Spirit. A spirit that we have to be connected with, a spirit that we must draw near to so that He can use us. You are His vessel. Let Him pour into you so you can pour out to others.

Go to the well that will never run dry and see what He can do through you when you surrender to all He is.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said!!!! Peace, contentment, and joy can be found in these words. Keep letting God speak through you!!!! Dad

    ReplyDelete